What to Know About Truck Accidents in New York
Trucks are dangerous due to their size and weight. As a result, when truck accidents occur, they are often severe. If you are injured due to a truck driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New York.
Types of Truck Accidents
Because trucks are so large and heavy, there are a lot of different things that can go wrong while on the road. Some of the most common truck accidents include:
- Head-on collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Blindspot accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Underride accidents
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can be caused by a number of different factors. Sometimes, these accidents are a result of hazardous road conditions or inclement weather. But, most accidents can be traced back to truck driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Safety regulations: If a truck driver changes lanes improperly or passes other vehicles unsafely, they are violating safety regulations. This is also the case if they follow too closely behind other vehicles on the road. This behavior can easily lead to an accident.
- Reckless driving: Trucks can be more difficult to control and bring to a stop if a truck driver is driving dangerously or over the speed limit. Trucks need a distance of about two football fields to come to a complete stop on the road. If they are driving too fast or unsafely, it can be difficult to navigate the vehicle.
- Poor visibility: Because of their massive size, trucks have limited visibility on the road. They have large blind spots that often trap other vehicles and cause accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Federal law limits truck drivers to a certain amount of hours spent on the road. Drivers are allowed to work 11 hours within a 14-hour workday, allowing them a maximum of 70 hours of driving a week. If a driver breaks these laws, they may cause an accident due to tired driving.
- Mechanical problems: Trucks can sometimes fall victim to certain mechanical issues that can cause accidents. These issues may include tire blowouts, brake issues, breakdowns, and more.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident in New York, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced attorney. We will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.