What are the Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in New York?
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, you will likely face serious injury. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to speak with one of our skilled New York personal injury attorneys about the specifics of your case and how we can help you obtain the compensation that you deserve.
How do motorcycle accidents occur in New York?
Motorcycle accidents can occur in a number of ways. In some instances, they can happen as a result of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, more regularly, motorcycle accidents are the result of driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence that our firm has seen include the following:
- Ignoring blind spots
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Is a motorcyclist covered under personal injury protection in New York?
In the state of New York, it is unfortunate that motorcyclists are not covered under personal injury protection. Personal injury protection, otherwise known as PIP, is no-fault insurance that covers medical expenses and lost wages after an auto accident. If you are not covered under PIP, you will have to pay for your own medical expenses, except if you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that is liable for your accident.
No matter what, it is in your best interest to retain the services of an accomplished personal injury attorney to ensure that you and your future are protected.
Can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
You will need to fulfill the burden of proof if you were injured in a motorcycle accident and would like to pursue legal action and recover compensation. This means that you will need to provide as much evidence as possible pointing to another’s negligence. Be sure to take the following steps immediately after your accident, if you are able:
- Call the authorities. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, as it can help your case. In some cases, motorcyclists might wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that an accident occurs.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents pointing to the severity and origin of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be key to your claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.