What to Know About Motorcycle Accidents in New York
Motorcycle accidents are often more serious than other motor vehicle accidents due to the nature of the vehicle. Motorcycles offer much less protection to a driver than a car or truck does, as there is nothing to shield the impact of an accident. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about motorcycle accidents in New York.
How do Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
Some motorcycle accidents are due to factors like:
- Inclement weather conditions, such as heavy downpours or fog
- Potholes, uneven pavement or other poor road conditions
- Defective or malfunctioning motorcycle parts
But, the majority of motorcycle accidents are a result of driver negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Reckless driving
- Failure to observe traffic signs and lights
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Excessive speed
- Using any electronic device that does not use hands-free technology
PIP Insurance for Motorcyclists in New York
Unfortunately, motorcycle riders are not offered the same medical coverage provided to those with auto insurance. Typically, if you are in an automobile crash, you have what’s called personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP is coverage that will help you with medical expenses and lost wages. However, motorcyclists in New York State are not afforded PIP insurance and will be required to cover their expenses out of pocket. Because of this, you will need the help of an experienced attorney in order to recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
In order to recover compensation for an accident caused by another party’s negligence, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. In order to do so, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene: Many motorcyclists wear bodycams in order to document any accidents that may occur. You should also take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This ensures that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing proof of your injuries.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in New York, contact our firm today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.