Who is Responsible for a Pool Accident in New York?
The weather is warming up and pools will begin to open soon. Many of us will begin digging our bathing suits out of our closets. While this is an exciting time, it is important to be aware of the dangers when it comes to swimming pools. Read on to learn more about swimming pool accidents in New York.
What are Common Forms of Pool Owner Negligence?
In New York, property owners have a legal obligation to keep their properties safe. If a pool owner does not keep the property safe, serious accidents can occur. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Failing to install all the necessary fences and barriers in the pool area
- Neglecting to use wet floor signs
- Failing to ensure their pool is clean and free of bacteria
- Leaving children unattended
- Failing to stow away all portable ladders when the pool is not in use
- Allowing people to swim under the influence
- Failing to warn parties that their pool does not have a safe diving area
If your accident was caused by pool owner negligence, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation.
How Can I Recover Compensation?
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. In order to do this, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: It is important to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: You should go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately. This will provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries, which can play a large role in a personal injury case. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced attorney: A personal injury attorney can help you gather further evidence.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pool accident, reach out to our experienced personal injury firm. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.