What You Need to Know About Nursing Home Negligence in NYS
If your loved one has reached a point in his or her life where he or she can no longer take care of him/herself, and you are unable to do so as well, you most likely placed your loved one in a nursing home you trust. This is never an easy move, but it is often a necessary one. Unfortunately, nursing homes do not always live up to the standard of care they owe their residents, and if you suspect that your loved one is the victim of nursing home negligence/abuse, you must continue reading and speak with our experienced New York State medical malpractice attorneys to learn more about how we can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How can I tell if my loved one is being abused/neglected in an NYS nursing home?
There is nothing more aggravating and disturbing than believing that your loved one is being harmed or taken advantage of in some way by the place that you trusted to care for them as you would have. However, by keeping an eye out for some of the following signs, you just might save your loved one’s life.
- Constant complaints of hunger or thirst
- Noticing significant, and rather sudden, weight loss
- Noticing missing possessions or cash from your loved one’s room
- Your loved one shows signs of fear when certain nurses or aids enter the room
- Actual complaints of physical or verbal abuse
- Poor living conditions, such as mold growing, or unclean water/spoiled food
- Unexplained bruises
- Anything else that may seem out of the ordinary to you
What should I do if I suspect an incident of nursing home abuse/neglect?
If you believe that your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse/neglect, you should take the following steps, and you should do so quickly:
- Take pictures or videos of the problem. This is so that once you report the problem, you will still have evidence, even if nursing home management or staff tries to correct the hazard before authorities arrive.
- Report the incident to nursing home management, as well as the police, especially if you believe your loved one is in imminent danger. This can help ensure that your loved one is transported both to a hospital for treatment, and from there, to a place where he or she will not have to worry about his or her safety.
- If anyone witnessed the incident(s), ask them for their contact information.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable Westchester County personal injury attorney who can gather all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof and to help you and your loved one attain the justice you both deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.