What to Know About Texting and Driving Accidents in New York
Texting and driving is the leading cause of car accidents in the United States. Despite the obvious dangers, drivers continue to engage in this behavior, causing serious accidents. Read on to learn more about texting and driving accidents in New York.
What Do I Do if I Am in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, you will want to:
- Call 911. The police can file a report, conduct chemical tests, and gather witness statements.
- Document the scene. You will want to take photos and videos of the accident and any damage done to the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention. It is a good idea to go to the hospital. Even if you do not feel like you have been injured, it is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. At the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor for all medical documents related to your injury.
- Make sure you file your claim in time. If you wish to file a personal injury claim for a car accident, you will have to file within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, the statute of limitations in New York is three years. This means if you fail to file within three years from the date of the accident, you will most likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. If you are injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. A personal injury attorney can help gather further proof of negligence, such as security camera footage. Additionally, he or she will help ensure that your claims are filed on time.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New York, you will generally have three years to file your claim. This means that if you fail to file within three years of your accident, you will likely lose your opportunity to recover the compensation you need in order to heal.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.