What to Know About New York Elevator Accidents
Many buildings have elevators and we don’t usually think twice before using them. But, elevators can be more dangerous than you may realize. Read on to learn more about elevator accidents in New York and what to do in the event of an injury.
What are Common Types of Elevator Accidents?
There are many different ways that an elevator accident can happen in New York. If the manufacturer does not follow protocol during production or a property owner does not maintain the machine, it can become defective and malfunction. Common causes of accidents can include:
- Electrocutions due to faulty wiring
- Tripping due to uneven or unbalanced leveling with the floor
- Falling down the elevator shafts
- Getting caught in between malfunctioning doors
- Being whipped around due to excessive elevator speed
- Elevator fires
What Do I Do if I Have Been Injured?
If you have been injured in an elevator accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct witness statements, and more.
- Document the scene: Be sure to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused the accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone else was in the elevator, or at the scene of the accident, ask for their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: One of the most important things you can do is visit the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical bills/documents.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: An attorney may be able to gather evidence you would not otherwise be able to access. For example, an experienced attorney may be able to obtain security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an elevator accident in New York, contact our firm today. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through all of your personal injury matters.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.