What to Know About Hotel Accidents in New York
Hotels have a legal obligation to keep the property safe for guests at all times. This can be done by conducting routine sweeps to ensure that everything is in order, and fixing any potential hazards right away. If these sweeps are not practiced, or the hazards are not fixed in a timely manner, serious accidents can occur. If you are injured in a hotel accident, you may be the victim of negligence. As a result, you may be entitled to recover compensation for the physical, mental, and financial burdens you experience as a result of your injury. Read on to learn more about hotel accidents in New York and what to do if an accident occurs.
Common Types of Hotel Accidents
When you stay at a hotel, you trust management and staff will do everything they can to ensure you have an enjoyable and safe time away. However, certain hotels have several features and activities available, such as swimming pools and gyms. The bigger the hotel, the more upkeep it requires. If hotel staff fails to keep their facilities in tip-top shape, accidents may happen. Here are some of the most common types of accidents that occur:
- Elevator accidents
- Escalator accidents
- Gym equipment accidents
- Parking lot/garage accidents
- Stairway accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Unsanitary conditions
- Accidents due to inadequate lighting or security
- Sidewalk accidents
What Do I Do if an Accident Occurs?
If you are injured in a hotel accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call the police.
- Notify the hotel manager that your accident occurred.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their phone number, email address, and name.
- Take pictures of the unsafe hotel conditions that caused your accident.
- Once you are transported to a hospital and treated, ask your doctor for all medical documentation concerning your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence needed to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence.
- Make sure to file your claim on time. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident.
If you have been injured in a hotel accident in New York, you will need to retain the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Contact our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.