What to Know About Grocery Store Accidents in New York
It may come as a surprise, but simple everyday activities like supermarket shopping can cause life-altering injuries. If you are injured in a supermarket, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about grocery store accidents in New York and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Grocery Store Accidents Occur?
Unfortunately, there are countless ways to become injured in the supermarket. Most accidents are due to:
- Broken or defective grocery carts
- Improperly positioned floor mats
- Freshly mopped floors without proper hazard warning signs
- Unstable displays
- Inadequate security
- Potholes in supermarket parking lots
- Falling debris and falling items from the shelves
- Tainted or spoiled food
- Slippery entrances and exits
- Poor pavement and walkway conditions
- Inadequate lighting
- Aisle obstructions
- Water spilled on the restroom floor
What do I do if I am Injured in a Grocery Store Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. To do this, you should:
- Notify the manager: Be sure to notify the manager of the supermarket immediately. This will ensure that they can file an accident report and that there are no surprises if you decide to pursue legal action down the line.
- Seek medical attention: Call 911 to report the accident and send an ambulance to the scene. It is important to go to the hospital, even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured. It is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, your injuries may not heal properly without medical attention. Lastly, going to the doctor can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This can play a large role in a personal injury case, so be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Document the scene: While you wait for the ambulance, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and contact information.
If you have been injured in a supermarket in New York, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.