What to Know About Firework Safety in New York
If you plan on lighting fireworks for the Fourth of July, there are some important safety tips to know first. Read on to learn more.
Firework Safety Tips
Before, and during your firework show, please keep the following tips in mind:
- Never purchase fireworks that are illegal in your area.
- Fireworks in brown paper are not intended for amateur displays, which means if you see them, you should not buy them.
- Leave firework displays to adults–children should never set off fireworks.
- Do not keep fireworks in your pocket.
- Do not let your pets outside. Oftentimes, the bright lights and loud noises can cause them to run away or behave erratically.
- Ensure you have a water source, such as a garden hose, and a fire extinguisher on standby, just in case you should need them.
- Always wear protective glasses when setting off fireworks.
- If a firework does not go off initially, do not try and relight it.
- Never light off fireworks until you are sure that everyone is a safe distance away.
- Always douse your fireworks with cool water before throwing them away. This can help prevent a trash can fire.
What do I do if I am Injured in a Firework Accident?
If you have been injured in a firework accident at a friend or family member’s house, or an event, you may have a valid premises liability case. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. To do so, you should be sure to:
- Call 911- The police can file an accident report and send an ambulance to the scene
- Take pictures and videos- Document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, be sure to ask for their name and contact information- they may be able to corroborate your verison of events
- Seek medical attention- It is important to go to the hospital immediately after your accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated properly while simaltaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you have been injured in a firework accident due to another party’s negligence, contact our experienced firm.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.