What Kind of Negligence Causes Car Accidents in New York?
It is unfortunate that car accidents are so common in New York. It is important to take note of how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Continue reading learn more about car accidents and reach out to our skilled New York personal injury attorneys today to get started on your claim.
How do car accidents occur?
There are many ways that car accidents can happen. The most common cause, however, is driver negligence. Our firm has seen many incidents of driver negligence. The typical ones include the following:
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What are my options if I was hurt in a car accident?
If you are injured in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence, you will need to do the following:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance, file an accident report, collect witness testimony and perform chemical tests.
- It is also important that you gather any contact information from witnesses to the accident. Their testimony will be beneficial later on in your personal injury claim.
- Take photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles involved in the crash.
- Seek medical treatment, even if you do not feel injured. In some cases, you can sustain an injury without knowledge, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Retain the services of a skilled New York personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you build your claim and ensure you are meeting your claim’s deadlines.
How long do I have to file a claim for car accidents in New York?
If you were hurt in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence and you want to pursue legal action, you must immediately file your personal injury claim. In the state of New York, the statute of limitations is three years. This suggests that you are required to file your car accident claim within three years from the date of the accident in order to receive the compensation you deserve.
Personal injury claims are time-sensitive. Do not wait to contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Hausman & Pendzick today to get started. Our dedicated legal team will be able to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.