handing over car keys

If you get injured in a car accident while driving your own vehicle, what happens next is usually obvious. You can go through your own insurance coverage and sue the other driver if you think that they are at fault. What happens if you are driving a company vehicle though? Does this complicate matters? It does, but our Westchester County workers’ compensation attorneys can help you figure out what to do.

Am I Covered Under Workers’ Compensation in a Company Vehicle?

You could be covered under workers’ compensation insurance when you get into a crash in the company vehicle, as long as you are acting within the scope of your employment. If you are making deliveries for work, transporting another worker, or running any other kind of work-related errand at the time of the crash, your employer’s insurance should kick in.

This means that you can apply for workers’ compensation. You need to report your injury to your employer as soon as possible so that they can notify their insurance company.

Unfortunately, if you are just driving a company car around on your own time, you may not be covered under your employer’s policy. You may have to go through your own insurance provider. You may even need to sue another driver for damages, but we’ll talk about that more in a second.

What Should I Do After an Accident in a Company Vehicle?

When you get into an accident in a company vehicle, you should treat it like any other car crash. You should:

  • Exchange information with any other involved drivers
  • Get contact information for witnesses, if there were any
  • Call the police so that they can fill out a report
  • Take photos of the vehicles and the accident scene

Then it’s time to get the medical care you need and report your injuries to your employer.

Can I Sue Another Driver?

In some cases you can, even when you have already collected workers’ compensation. If someone acted negligently and caused the crash, they should be held accountable. You can file a third-party injury claim and sue for damages, including compensation for pain and suffering. Workers’ comp is only designed to cover medical expenses and a portion of your wages, so a third-party claim opens up some more options for you.

Do I Need An Attorney?

An attorney can be helpful in situations like these. A lawyer from our firm can help you navigate the workers’ comp system and help you appeal if your claim gets denied. They can also help you if you decide to file a lawsuit against someone else, like another driver.

Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers

If you have any questions about pursuing compensation, contact Hausman & Pendzick. We can tell you more about your legal options and what our attorneys can do to help you hold any negligent parties accountable.