Traffic Deaths on the Rise | Car Accidents in New York
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. This may come as a surprise, considering many of us spent the past year at home in order to slow the spread of COVID-19. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New York and what to do if an injury occurs.
How Do Car Accidents Occur?
Car accidents occur in all sorts of different ways. But, the majority of accidents are a result of negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Unlawful turns
- Careless lane changes
- Electronic device use
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
What if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, it is important that you take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can file a report, conduct chemical tests, and gather witness statements.
- Document the scene. You will want to take photos and videos of the accident and any damage done to the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention. You should visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident. This will provide you with documentation of the origin and extent of your injuries. At the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor for all medical documents related to your injury.
- Make sure you file your claim in time. If you wish to file a personal injury claim for a car accident, you will have to file within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, the statute of limitations in New York is three years. This means if you fail to file within three years from the date of the accident, you will most likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. If you are injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. A personal injury attorney can help gather further proof of negligence, such as security camera footage. Additionally, he or she will help ensure that your claims are filed on time.
If you have been injured in a car accident in New York, contact our experienced firm today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.