Receiving Immediate Medical Attention After an Accident | Why is it Important?
You may think self-treating an injury may do the trick if you only received minor injuries from an accident. However, doing so is not helpful if you intend on filing a personal injury claim. Continue reading to understand the importance of seeking immediate medical attention after an accident and how one of the proficient Westchester County personal injury attorneys at Hausman & Pendzick can help you throughout the process.
How does receiving medical attention support my personal injury claim?
Receiving medical attention after an accident is necessary to determine what your injuries are and what your treatment plan should be. Aside from it healing your physical burdens, it may heal your financial burdens in that it will help you build a successful personal injury case. With that, the following are the advantages of seeking immediate medical attention after your accident:
- Satisfying the burden of proof: for a personal injury claim, you are required to collect evidence that will back up every statement that you make about the other party’s negligence. Medical documentation is an essential piece of evidence.
- Establishing causation: the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove that the accident was the direct cause of your injuries. This will invite the jury, judge, and the other party’s insurance company to question the seriousness of your injuries.
- Maximizing your settlement offer: If you do not seek medical attention, you do not know the full extent of your injuries and what your future medical costs will be. In turn, you may accept a settlement that does not cover all of your expenses. And once you accept a settlement, you cannot go back and ask for more.
- Filing within the statute of limitations: If you delay medical attention, you may indirectly delay filing your personal injury claim. Pushing this passed New York’s statute of limitations of three years from the date of your accident will bar you from suing.
If you require any further assistance with seeking medical care or filing your claim, do not hesitate in reaching out to one of the talented Westchester County personal injury attorneys today.
How do I get medical attention after my accident?
Below are the steps you should take to receive medical attention as immediate as possible:
- Call 911. The police will likely call medical attention to the scene of the accident on your behalf.
- Once they are on the scene, allow the medical professionals to attend to you immediately.
- After leaving the scene, go to the hospital independently to receive any treatment necessary. Collect any and all medical bills and documents throughout the process.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.