Pedestrian Accidents in New York | What to Know
Sometimes, pedestrians and drivers must share a road. This can result in serious and even deadly accidents. It is important to know how these accidents occur, what to avoid, and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in New York.
How are Pedestrian Accidents Caused?
Pedestrian accidents can occur at any time for any reason. Accidents can occur due to faulty car parts, poor weather conditions, or hazardous road conditions. For the most part, these accidents are due to driver or pedestrian negligence. The most common causes include:
- Speeding drivers
- Driving without headlights at night or in bad weather
- Drivers that do not pay attention to crosswalks, stop signs, or street lights
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Roads that have obstructed visibility
- Pedestrians who cross the road outside of the crosswalk
- Pedestrians who are not paying attention where they walk
What do I do if I Have Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident?
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, file a report, conduct chemical tests, and gather witness statements.
- Seek medical attention. At the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor for all medical documents related to your injury.
- Document the scene. If possible, you will want to take photos and videos of the accident.
- Make sure you file your claim in time. If you wish to file a personal injury claim for an accident, you will have to file within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, the statute of limitations in New York is three years. This means if you fail to file within three years from the date of the accident, you will most likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. If you are injured in a pedestrian accident due to a driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. A personal injury attorney can help gather further proof of negligence, such as security camera footage. Additionally, he or she will help ensure that your claims are filed on time.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in New York, contact our firm to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney. We understand the toll an injury can take and we are here to fight for you to recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.