Important Information Regarding Slip and Fall Accidents in New York State
Slip and fall accidents occur when we least expect them, which is part of what makes them so jarring and potentially devastating. If you are someone who has been injured on another person’s property, there is a very good chance you are now seeking financial compensation to help you heal. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Westchester County personal injury attorneys today to learn more about how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do if I am injured in a slip and fall accident on another person’s property?
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, it is critical that you take several steps to ensure you maximize your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. That is why, if you are injured, you should do the following:
- Call 911. The police will arrive at the scene of the accident to document it, and they will also send an ambulance who can take you to a hospital for treatment.
- From here, you should take pictures of the unsafe conditions that caused your accident, especially if they are a hazard the owner may try and clear away before the authorities arrive.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their name, email, and phone number.
- Ask your doctor for any medical documentation relating to the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable Westchester County personal injury attorney to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the claims process ahead.
How long do I have to sue another person for an injury in New York State?
Every state has a statute of limitations in place for personal injury claims. This means that while you may wish to simply wait and see if your injuries heal on your own, it is generally not the best idea to do so. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York is, generally, three years, giving you, generally, three years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the party responsible. If you wait any longer than three years to file, there is a very good chance that you will be barred from suing. We are ready to begin the claims process on your behalf today–all you have to do is ask.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.