A modern, two-story house with a gray and beige exterior, complete with a dark roof and white trim. The home has two garage doors, a front lawn with a small tree, and neatly manicured landscaping. The sky is vivid with a pink and orange sunset.

You were recently invited to your friend’s or relative’s home, and while you were there, you were hurt. Either you slipped and fell or otherwise. Had your friend/relative been more careful, the condition that caused your accident simply would not have been there. Unfortunately, now you need compensation to heal, though you do not want to sue your relative. What are you to do? Read this blog and reach out to our experienced Westchester County personal injury attorneys to learn more about premises liability claims and how we can help you through the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

I was injured at my relative’s house in NY. Will I have to sue him?

Many of our clients who were injured due to a friend or relative’s negligence, either in a car crash or on their property, will come into our office and say that although they need the compensation, they do not want to sue their relative, and they are unsure of how to proceed. Oftentimes, we are very glad to tell these individuals that, in most cases, they will not have to sue their relatives directly. Instead, we will file a lawsuit with your relative’s insurance company, not your relative. This means that you should be able to receive the compensation you deserve without having to cost your friend a dime.

What qualifies as a valid personal injury claim?

If you are injured on another person’s property, you will have to hire an experienced Westchester County personal injury attorney who can gather and present sufficient evidence to prove that the property owner knew, or should have known about the unsafe conditions, failed to fix them, and that this inaction resulted in your injuries and the ensuing damages you incurred. As long as you can prove this, you should win your claim.

How long will I have to file a premises claim in New York State?

If you are injured on someone else’s property in Westchester County, you will have to file your claim in accordance with the state’s statute of limitations. Since the statute of limitations for premises liability claims in New York is, generally, three years, you will, generally, have three years from the date of your accident to sue the party responsible. If you wait any longer than three years, there is a very good chance you will lose your right to financial compensation.


Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.