What to Know About Restaurant Accidents in New York
Some people love to dine out, while others exclusively cook at home. That being said, there is a good chance you will find yourself in a restaurant every so often, whether it be for a date night, a friend’s birthday party, or just an excuse to get out of the house. Unfortunately, restaurants can be more dangerous than you may realize. With bustling crowds and food and drinks, it is easy for a spill to occur. This is just one way for a restaurant accident to happen. Read on to learn more about restaurant accidents in New York.
How do Restaurant Accidents Occur?
Restaurant accidents can be caused by any number of factors, including:
- Slippery floors
- Malfunctioning kitchen equipment
- Chemical exposure
- Food poisoning
- Heavy lifting accidents
These can all cause serious injuries, including:
- Head trauma
- Psychological trauma
- Fractured bones
- Twisted knees
- Cuts and lacerations
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that your accident was a direct result of this negligence. In order to do this, take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention
- After an injury, some people attempt to recover without the help of a doctor. This is dangerous because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, your injuries may not heal properly without proper medical attention. Going to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This information can play a large role in a personal injury case, so it is important to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Notify the manager right away
- Immediately after your accident occurs, notify the manager of the restaurant. He or she should file an accident report. If possible, obtain a copy of this report.
- Document the scene
- While waiting for the ambulance, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused the accident to occur.
If you have been injured in a restaurant accident in New York, you may need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Reach out today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.