sign with man slipping

When you slip and fall on private property, you can sue the owner if you think that their negligence was to blame. If you fall on government property, the process for recovering damages can be different. The deadlines are tight and there can be some extra paperwork required of you, so it may be a good idea to talk to our Westchester County slip and fall accident attorneys before you try to build a case.

What Kinds of Hazards Can Cause a Slip and Fall on Government Property?

A government property is like any other building or property. If it is not properly cared for, plenty of slipping and falling hazards can develop and someone can get hurt. Common hazards include:

  • Broken walkways or stairways
  • Poor lighting
  • Slippery floors
  • Missing or broken banisters

Any of these things can cause someone to fall and get seriously injured. If these hazards were only there because of someone else’s negligence, this government or government entity should be held accountable.

What Should I Do After Getting Hurt on Government Property?

It’s important to start building your case right away after you get hurt on government property. You should:

  • Take pictures of the slipping hazard
  • Get contact information for any witnesses who saw you get hurt
  • Seek out medical care as soon as possible
  • Keep all evidence of damages, like medical bills and paystubs that can show how much pay you have missed out on

Then it’s time to consider talking to an attorney because the process for suing a government entity is not exactly the same as the one used to sue a private citizen or company.

Can I Sue the Government For Damages?

You can sue the government for damages, but you cannot just bring a lawsuit against them directly. Instead, you must submit a notice of claim within 90 days of an accident. This document should contain information like your name, a summary of the accident, where the slip and fall occurred, and what kinds of injuries you have suffered. You can only proceed with a lawsuit once this claim has been sent.

Should I Hire a Lawyer?

In most slip and fall cases, the victim has years to take legal action. When your accident occurs on government property, you do not have that luxury. You have to act quickly and file your notice of claim before you lose your chance to seek out damages. This is why we recommend hiring an attorney. You can focus on your recovery while we focus on the paperwork.

Talk to Our Attorneys Today

When you are ready to learn more about your legal options, contact Hausman & Pendzick. We can schedule a consultation for you and take a closer look at your case. If we think that we can help, we’ll walk you through the next steps.