Supermarket Accidents in New York | What to Know
A trip to the supermarket can feel mundane. But, it is actually more dangerous than you may expect. Supermarket accidents occur often and can result in serious injury. If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on for more information.
Common Causes of Supermarket Accidents
Supermarket accidents occur often and can be serious. Most of these accidents are caused by:
- Outdoor elements
- Loose produce
- Parking lot conditions
- Falling products
- Unattended items and debris on the floor
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will need to prove that this negligence occurred. This can be difficult to do, but there are some important steps to take in the event of an injury.
- Seek medical attention. You will want to ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional. In doing so, you will also be able to document evidence of the origin and extent of your injuries. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Alert the manager. Before leaving the supermarket, make sure to notify the manager that an accident has occurred. He or she will file an accident report. If possible, ask for a copy of this report.
- Document the scene. One of the most important things you can do is take pictures and videos of the accident. Make sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw the accident occur, obtain their contact information as they may be able to provide witness statements later on.
- Hire a personal injury attorney. Providing proof of negligence can be difficult. An attorney may be able to gather further evidence, including video footage of the incident.
- File your claim on time. If you wish to take legal action, you will have to make sure you file your personal injury claim within three years from the date of your accident. If you fail to file your claim on time, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket, contact our firm to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.