Speaking with Insurance Adjusters After a NY Car Accident
Car accidents are common and their results can be severe. If you have been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to do so, you will have to deal with insurance companies. Insurance companies are difficult to deal with. Unfortunately, they are not looking out for your best interests, but rather their own. Read on for more information regarding how to deal with insurance adjusters after a car accident in New York.
What to Expect When Speaking With Insurance Adjusters?
- A lowball first offer: Insurance adjusters know that car accident victims are vulnerable. If you have been injured, you are likely struggling with lost wages, medical expenses, and more. Insurance adjusters may offer you a low settlement offer in the hopes that you will take it to cover your mounting expenses right away. This offer is likely unfairly low, even if it does not seem like it.
- They may ignore you: If you do not accept their first offer, the company may simply ignore you. This is intentional. They are hoping that by ignoring you for long enough, the statute of limitations will pass, and you will no longer be able to sue. It is important that you do not let this happen. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally three years from the date of the accident.
- Downplaying or denying your injuries: In order to avoid including medical expenses in your settlement offer, an insurance adjuster may claim that you are exaggerating or lying about your injuries. For this reason, it is vital that you keep meticulous records of your doctor visits, surgeries, treatments, and more.
- Asking loaded questions: Often, insurance adjusters ask purposely difficult questions. They may attempt to twist your words and use them against you in order to further their cause. Do not answer any questions without the help of a skilled attorney.
- Suggest an autobody shop: If they suggest an autobody shop, you do not legally have to go. Instead, you should go to a reputable autobody shop in your area.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will need a strong legal team in your corner. Our firm will fight for you. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.