How Do Stairwell Accidents Occur in New York? | What to Know
Stairwell accidents can cause severe injuries lifelong burdens. If you were injured as a result of another’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Contact Hausman & Pendzick today to speak with one of our skilled New York personal injury attorneys about your case.
What are the common causes of stairwell accidents in New York?
Stairwell accidents can occur in New York for several different reasons. However, the most common cause is a result of negligence. The most typical causes of stairwell accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Damaged stairs
- Lack of security
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Defective or broken railings
What should I do if I was injured in a stairwell?
It is important that you obtain as much evidence as possible following your accident if you were injured as a result of negligence in a stairwell. The more evidence you have, the better your legal claim will be. If possible, take these steps after your accident:
- Call 911 – the police will file an accident report and dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Take photos and videos of the dangerous conditions that caused the accident and the injuries you sustained as a result.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses to the scene of the accident. They may be able to confirm your report of the events.
- It is important to seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for medical proof that points to the origin and severity of your injuries. This will be essential evidence in your future personal injury claim.
- Contact an experienced New York personal injury attorney that can help you gather more evidence that can be an important element in your case. An attorney will also help you navigate through the claims process and make sure that you are meeting all of the important deadlines.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in New York?
The state of New York has a statute of limitations of three years for most personal injury claims. This suggests that if you do not file your stairwell accident claim within three years from the date of your accident, you will not only lose the chance to file completely, but you will also miss out on recovering the compensation that you deserve.
Personal injury claims in New York are time-sensitive. Do not wait to reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney today. Our firm is dedicated to ensuring that you have promptly filed your personal injury claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WESTCHESTER COUNTY FIRM
Hausman & Pendzick effectively represent victims of negligence in Westchester County and across the state of New York. We understand how challenging life can be without financial compensation for serious injuries you have wrongly sustained. If you need a knowledgeable and skilled personal injury attorney to help you recover compensation after an accident, contact Hausman & Pendzick today.