old man with health aide

When you leave a loved one at a nursing home or similar facility, you expect that they will be well cared for. This is what makes cases of nursing home abuse so tragic. If you suspect that your relative is being mistreated, you need to report the abuse. Every state has its own way of doing this, and our Westchester County personal injury attorneys can help you navigate New York’s rules and regulations.

What Are Signs of Nursing Home Abuse?

Many cases of nursing home abuse leave behind some kind of evidence. You can begin to suspect abuse if your loved one:

  • Has bedsores
  • Has unexplained bruises, broken bones, or other injuries
  • Seems to have lost weight suddenly
  • Is clearly dehydrated
  • Experiences mood swings or a change in personality
  • Has had belongings or money go missing

Any of these things could be a sign of previous or ongoing abuse.

How Do I Report Nursing Home Abuse?

This is your loved one’s health and well-being we’re talking about. If you suspect abuse, you should report it to the New York State Department of Health. The state has a form that you can fill out online and it’s available in multiple languages. Just fill in the information and mail it, e-mail it, or fax it to the given addresses.

You can submit a complaint if the nursing home abuse has occurred within the last year. You can also attach other materials that back up your assertions.

What Can Be Used as Evidence to Prove Nursing Home Abuse?

When you submit your complaint, you can also submit evidence of the nursing home abuse. Such evidence can also come in handy if you decide to pursue a personal injury case and sue for damages. Some evidence that can be helpful includes:

  • Photographs of injuries and bedsores
  • Testimony from witnesses
  • Diaries kept by abused loved ones
  • Medications given to your relatives
  • Notes about your relative’s physical and emotional condition
  • Notes about your interactions with the nursing home staff

Do what you can to document everything. The more evidence that you have, the easier it can be to get the state to address the problem.

Can I Sue for Damages?

You may also be able to sue for compensation if your loved one was abused at a nursing home. Our attorneys can help you fight for damages that help make up for your relative’s medical expenses, the mental anguish they experienced, and the emotional distress that they went through. In some cases, you could even be awarded punitive damages if the behavior of the nursing home and its staff was particularly egregious and neglectful.

Contact Our Law Firm

If you want to learn more about your legal options and how you can hold the perpetrators of nursing home abuse accountable, contact Hausman & Pendzick. We can schedule a consultation and take a closer look at your case.